Year 11: Choosing Your A-level/Equivalent Subjects

Watch Topic

If you're in Year 11 and starting to think ahead to your A-level choices (or Scottish highers, IB etc) but don't really know where to start, please post your questions below.

Maybe you just want a little guidance, all questions and comments welcome.

Feel free to share any tips you have for others as well.

1 miaolagbaju2001 6 years ago
miaolagbaju2001

I want to study medicine at university and I have to study chemistry and one of biology, physics or maths. For A level I hope to do biology, chemistry, psychology and history, but I’m afraid that by not studying 3 or more sciences/maths like most applicants, I will be at a disadvantage when applying to university. I currently get 7s and 8s in maths and physics but I don’t enjoy them at all. Should I just take them anyway instead of psychology and history?

2 Jamiegoodland1 (Editorial) 6 years ago
Jamiegoodland1

(Original post by miaolagbaju2001  6 years ago)
I want to study medicine at university and I have to study chemistry and one of biology, physics or maths. For A level I hope to do biology, chemistry, psychology and history, but I’m afraid that by not studying 3 or more sciences/maths like most applicants, I will be at a disadvantage when applying to university. I currently get 7s and 8s in maths and physics but I don’t enjoy them at all. Should I just take them anyway instead of psychology and history?

Hi @Miaolagbaju2001. There are universities which don’t require a third subject for medicine applicants. If you’re fixed on studying medicine, you will need to stick to the minimum requirement of the universities where you’d be happy to study - perhaps you can let your subject preferences guide which unis you apply to. I wouldn’t recommend studying subjects you really don’t enjoy at all (my personal experience) . I’d advise taking the subject requirements at face value, and not worrying too much that other students may have maths or an extra science subject. The important thing is to be able to make a strong case for why you’re applying for medicine in your personal statement, and have good reasons for picking whatever A-levels subjects you chose – because you thought you had to is not a good reason. I’d strongly recommend talking to your careers advisor, head of 6th form (if possible), and/or teachers about this.

3 rsikhosana 6 years ago
rsikhosana

I know when I am older I want to do something that is going to help with society and give back maybe something in law or journalism or something along them lines but I am a not completely sure want I want to do so I am struggling to decide which alevels to pick as I do not know which ones would be suited for law and journalism , I’m just really confused as I have no alevels that are particularly tailored to those courses and some of the requirements for some unis have subjects I really don’t enjoy , I am not sure what to do

4 Jamiegoodland1 (Editorial) 6 years ago
Jamiegoodland1

(Original post by rsikhosana  6 years ago)
I know when I am older I want to do something that is going to help with society and give back maybe something in law or journalism or something along them lines but I am a not completely sure want I want to do so I am struggling to decide which alevels to pick as I do not know which ones would be suited for law and journalism , I’m just really confused as I have no alevels that are particularly tailored to those courses and some of the requirements for some unis have subjects I really don’t enjoy , I am not sure what to do

Hi @Rsikhosana. If you have made up your mind that you want to study law or journalism, I’d suggest checking a range of universities and finding out the common subject requirements, then picking your strongest/favourite subjects from that list.
You will need to have any required subjects to get onto a course at a particular uni, but beyond that, you could think about the skills needed in each of these areas. Using evidence and different points of view to form an argument or create a story is something both law and journalism have in common and is something you can develop in many subjects: as well as English and history, they include philosophy, psychology and economics.
It may be worth looking into legal apprenticeships, there are some you can start aged 16: https://successatschool.org/advicedetails/834/legal-apprenticeships-for-16-year-olds
Talk to your teacher or careers advisor to make sure you get advice tailored to you by someone who knows you.

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.