Engineering Careers

Watch Topic

We know there are large skills gaps in the Engineering sector. Do Employers need more young people from a practical Apprenticeship background or an academic university route?

1 bluedavies (Training Manager) 7 years ago
bluedavies

In my experience employers are more interested in young people with practical hand skills. The marine industry that I represent are definitely interested in Apprenticeship and British Marine, in conjunction with our membership, are currently developing new Apprenticeship Standards in Boat Building, Marine Engineering and Boatyards & Marinas.
Hope that helps.
regards
Blue Davies
British Marine, Training Manager.

2 Evem (Education Outreach Manager) 7 years ago
Evem

At Thales we look for a cross section of young people with both practical and academic knowledge and experience. We have many diverse roles at different levels within the defense, aerospace, transportation, e-security and space industry. Young people with strong soft skills and a passion of engineering is just as important, as often practical skills can be taught on the job.

3 Kate-DigitalEngineeringCareers (Marketing Executive) 7 years ago
Kate-DigitalEngineeringCareers

I work for a training provider, however our parent company TDS Midlands is a 2D and 3D Computer Aided Design Contractor for the Engineering and Construction Industry and 50% of their workforce is either an Apprentice or has gone through an Apprenticeship to where they are today. Many of them are supported onto higher level qualifications on completion of their Apprenticeship, once they have secured a sound level of practical skills and good understanding of the business - this is really key. One of the directors started his career with the company as an apprentice! I think it is ultimately down to the employer. TDS Midlands went on to set up its own apprenticeship scheme (Cadcoe), after finding it wasn't getting what the business needed from traditional apprenticeships and other methods of recruitment. Hope this is helpful!

4 Atkinsapprentices (Early Careers Advisor) 7 years ago
Atkinsapprentices

At Atkins we see both the practical element and the academic knowledge just as important and encourage a mix. We need more early careers talent within the STEM subjects to enter careers in the engineering sector whether that be from an apprentice, placement / graduate route. Thus would encourage students to look at all options and work out what their learning style is best suited to.

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.