Do I need a lot of work experience to increase my chances of getting an apprenticeship?

Watch Topic
I feel as though with apprenticeships, work experience is looked at in a very high regard which makes sense but how does that compare to the grades of the student. Is there also certain types of work experience tech employers prefer such as working at a tech firm or are so they prefer social and problem solving skills e.g. taking calls at reception.
1 illack (Software Engineer | Degree Apprentice | 3rd Year) 2 hours ago
illack

Firstly, having a type of work XP closely linked to the role you’re applying for is preferred, then after that company matters. [link removed] Development/Data/Network XP from any company is better than irrelevant XP for Google. That being said, I don’t think work XP outways your academic background unless it’s significant, [link removed] you were significantly involved in delivering a non-academic/tutorial software project or something where you can clearly relate skills between the XP & the job requirements. Social skills are still important and any XP is still valuable though so just be confident in trying to prove your ability!

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.