Rail Sector and Hillcrest Girls School

Watch Topic

Online session between the Rail Sector and Hillcrest Girls School.

Discussion Topic: Women in Rail

Date: 8th Nov 2018 at 14.30

1 2 3 4 5 > >>
1 cristinagalvan (Senior Engineer (Control Command Signalling)) 5 years ago
cristinagalvan

Hi, I’m Cristina and I am a Senior Engineer at Network Rail. I will be participating in your session and answering your questions this afternoon

2 cristinagalvan (Senior Engineer (Control Command Signalling)) 5 years ago
cristinagalvan

A bit about myself… I studied Telecommunications Engineering in my native Spain before moving to England. I continued my studies in England completing an MSc in Computing Science. I joined a big telecoms company after that, and a couple of years later I joined Network Rail.

3 cristinagalvan (Senior Engineer (Control Command Signalling)) 5 years ago
cristinagalvan

A bit about myself in Network [link removed] I’ve held quite a few engineering roles in Network Rail (all related to my telecoms background). My current role is all about defining the requirements for the future signalling systems. Previous roles included approving the equipment to be used in the communication network, designing communications networks, and defining/implementing telecommunications systems

4 cristinagalvan (Senior Engineer (Control Command Signalling)) 5 years ago
cristinagalvan

In the session you may want to ask questions about:

What is like to be an woman in Network Rail
The range of roles (not just engineering!) – though I think engineering is a great profession 😊
Career progression in Network Rail

5 MrsAbbotts (Head of Careers) 5 years ago
MrsAbbotts

Hi Cristina
Thank you for your posts. We are an all girls school in the City of Birmingham with approximately 500 students. Many of our students do not know much about the rail sector or engineering so it will be fantastic for them to gain an insight in to it. We look forward to talking with you at 2:30pm

6 cristinagalvan (Senior Engineer (Control Command Signalling)) 5 years ago
cristinagalvan

(Original post by MrsAbbotts  5 years ago)
Hi Cristina Thank you for your posts. We are an all girls school in the City of Birmingham with approximately 500 students. Many of our students do not know much about the rail sector or engineering so it will be fantastic for them to gain an insight in to it. We look forward to talking with you at 2:30pm

My pleasure. Looking forward to it!

7 cwarring77 (Project Manager) 5 years ago
cwarring77

Hi, I'm Caroline and I will be answering your questions this afternoon. My current role is as Signalling Project Manager for HS2 although I have also managed projects ranging from track replacements, station car park extensions and bridge reconstructions. I have an engineering background but have spent my rail career in project management. I am looking forward to answering your questions.

8 15rkc 5 years ago
15rkc

What GCSE's did you do?

9 jrichar3 (GIS Spatial Data Coordinator) 5 years ago
jrichar3

Hi, I'm Jennifer and work at HS2 as a Spatial Data Coordinator.
My background is in Geography and Technology, I now use GIS to ensure that the new high speed railway and related infrastructure is built correctly and aligns along the route.
I have previously worked for the British Transport Police, providing Officers with as much information as possible about the locations they were visiting to help keep the public and railway workers safe.

10 Athletefaith 5 years ago
Athletefaith

what do u like about your job

11 cwarring77 (Project Manager) 5 years ago
cwarring77

My GCSE's were Maths, Double Award Science, English Language, English Literature, French, German, Humanities, Design

12 Kkkk1 5 years ago
Kkkk1

what d you hate about your job

13 cwarring77 (Project Manager) 5 years ago
cwarring77

(Original post by 15rkc  5 years ago)
What GCSE's did you do?

My GCSE's were Maths, Double Award Science, English Language, English Literature, French, German, Humanities, Design

14 kash 5 years ago
kash

(Original post by jrichar3  5 years ago)
Hi, I'm Jennifer and work at HS2 as a Spatial Data Coordinator. My background is in Geography and Technology, I now use GIS to ensure that the new high speed railway and related infrastructure is built correctly and aligns along the route. I have previously worked for the British Transport Police, providing Officers with as much information as possible about the locations they were visiting to help keep the public and railway workers safe.

What did you do at University?

15 cwarring77 (Project Manager) 5 years ago
cwarring77

(Original post by Athletefaith  5 years ago)
what do u like about your job

I like being involved in lots of different things and learning about new things

16 Athletefaith 5 years ago
Athletefaith

how much do u get payed

17 Princessfrancine243 5 years ago
Princessfrancine243

hi

18 Walaibrahim 5 years ago
Walaibrahim

what university did you go to?

19 aminah_mukadan 5 years ago
aminah_mukadan

How did you get your job?

20 jrichar3 (GIS Spatial Data Coordinator) 5 years ago
jrichar3

(Original post by jrichar3  5 years ago)
Hi, I'm Jennifer and work at HS2 as a Spatial Data Coordinator. My background is in Geography and Technology, I now use GIS to ensure that the new high speed railway and related infrastructure is built correctly and aligns along the route. I have previously worked for the British Transport Police, providing Officers with as much information as possible about the locations they were visiting to help keep the public and railway workers safe.
(Original post by kash  5 years ago)
What did you do at University?

At University I studied Geography, and took GIS/Technology modules

1 2 3 4 5 > >>

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.