Entry Requirements for Apprenticeships

Watch Topic

Hi,

I am a Careers Adviser working in Alternative Learning Provision in the Bristol area. Many of our students have a good work ethic and excellent practical skills but have found mainstream school difficult. They are not necessarily low academically but have not fitted in to the Pre 16 school system.

In my experience Engineering apprenticeships and school leaver programmes expect students to have obtained a minimum of 5 GCSE A*-C grades. This may not be achievable at such provisions as students can be on limited academic timetables. 

I would like to hear from Bristol based engineering companies who may be able to offer opportunities for such students.

Thanks

Steve

1 greenr12 (Recruitment Advisor) 6 years ago

Hi Steve,

I recruit on behalf of the Volkswagen Group Apprentice Programme and we do require a minimum of a C grade GCSE in English, Maths & Science. This can be either English Literature or Language, and either Biology, Physics or Chemistry for Science.
Furthermore, we can consider candidates with equivalent qualifications, i.e. Functional Skills Lvl 2, Btec Lvl 2 etc.

I hope this helps,

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.