British Airways and Canons High (10am - 10.30)

Watch Topic

In their Q&A, Canons High School talked to British Airways about apprenticeships, including:

• Entry requirements.
  • What they enable apprentices to achieve.
  • When students can apply.
1 creffoldcanons (Careers Co-Ordinator) 6 years ago
creffoldcanons

Hi There, My name is Christina and I am a Careers Co-Ordinator at Canons High School in Edgware in North West London.

2 creffoldcanons (Careers Co-Ordinator) 6 years ago
creffoldcanons

The main areas that I am interested in finding out about are the best educational or apprenticeship paths into careers in aviation, in particular engineering and pilot careers

3 creffoldcanons (Careers Co-Ordinator) 6 years ago
creffoldcanons

I would also like to find out how I can get a representative from British Airways to come to our Careers Fair and also if BA offer work experience or a completion for work experience?

4 BAworkexperience123 (Work Experience Programme Lead) 6 years ago
BAworkexperience123

Hi Christina, thanks for your interest. We have a variety of opportunities for students. We have different apprenticeship schemes including engineering, which is a 3 year course, where candidates will achieve their aircraft licenses.

5 creffoldcanons (Careers Co-Ordinator) 6 years ago
creffoldcanons

(Original post by BAworkexperience123  6 years ago)
Hi Christina, thanks for your interest. We have a variety of opportunities for students. We have different apprenticeship schemes including engineering, which is a 3 year course, where candidates will achieve their aircraft licenses.

Ah amazing. Are these apprenticeships offered all year or are the applications open at a certain time? what are the entry requirements and what level qualification do they come out with?

6 BAworkexperience123 (Work Experience Programme Lead) 6 years ago
BAworkexperience123

For pilots, we have a variety of routes. Currently we have a BA cadet programme which students have to self-fund. We will also be launching a new programme early next year which will sponsor pilot training. We will be launching a 'gliding scholarship' for 2018 in partnership with the air league, where students can apply to undergo a 2-week scholarship and by the end will be able to fly the glider solo

7 creffoldcanons (Careers Co-Ordinator) 6 years ago
creffoldcanons

Ah amazing. Are the engineering apprenticeships offered all year or are the applications open at a certain time? what are the entry requirements and what level qualification do they come out with?

I would also like to find out how I can get a representative from British Airways to come to our Careers Fair and also if BA offer work experience or a completion for work experience?

8 BAworkexperience123 (Work Experience Programme Lead) 6 years ago
BAworkexperience123

For work experience, we have 5-day placements on offer for students across 26 departments. This is limited to schools in our catchment area or students who have a relative in BA. Formerly your school hasn't been in the catchment area, but we can look to develop this so that your school is included. Students have to apply on the BA website for this. We have opportunities all yea around excluding half terms and holidays as this when it is busiest for us!

9 creffoldcanons (Careers Co-Ordinator) 6 years ago
creffoldcanons

Oh this would be so amazing as I know some of our students would see this as an enormous opportunity.

10 BAworkexperience123 (Work Experience Programme Lead) 6 years ago
BAworkexperience123

Engineering apprenticeships tend to open at the early months of each year (around February-April time). Students need 5 GCSE's or equivalent at grade C or above, but must have at least a B grade in Maths. They will complete their apprenticeship with a NVQ level 3 in aircraft maintenance, as well as their certified licenses to work on aircraft which is a new addition to the programme, as previously they would need to continue to work towards the licenses after their apprenticeship

11 BAworkexperience123 (Work Experience Programme Lead) 6 years ago
BAworkexperience123

RE career fairs, you can email [email removed] with details and we will try to source volunteers to attend

12 creffoldcanons (Careers Co-Ordinator) 6 years ago
creffoldcanons

Engineering apprenticeships tend to open at the early months of each year (around February-April time). Students need 5 GCSE's or equivalent at grade C or above, but must have at least a B grade in Maths. They will complete their apprenticeship with a NVQ level 3 in aircraft maintenance, as well as their certified licenses to work on aircraft which is a new addition to the programme, as previously they would need to continue to work towards the licenses after their apprenticeship

Once they have finished the apprenticeship do BA offer any higher levels for candidates?

13 creffoldcanons (Careers Co-Ordinator) 6 years ago
creffoldcanons

RE career fairs, you can email [email removed] with details and we will try to source volunteers to attend

ah I think the site has blanked out your email address but I will contact the rep that set this up and ask if he can remove the blank.

14 BAworkexperience123 (Work Experience Programme Lead) 6 years ago
BAworkexperience123

Once they finished the apprenticeship, you can do as many levels of NVQs as you like, but will need to complete in your own time. I started on an apprenticeship in BA 5 years ago and studied up to level 4. Next year I am going to sign up to complete a level 5 and 6 to complete my education to a degree level standard. Really excited by the opportunity to do this,

15 BAworkexperience123 (Work Experience Programme Lead) 6 years ago
BAworkexperience123

Oh that's a shame about email address - but yes please ask as it is generic email address that students can also email if they have any individual questions or need more info :)

16 creffoldcanons (Careers Co-Ordinator) 6 years ago
creffoldcanons

Once they finished the apprenticeship, you can do as many levels of NVQs as you like, but will need to complete in your own time. I started on an apprenticeship in BA 5 years ago and studied up to level 4. Next year I am going to sign up to complete a level 5 and 6 to complete my education to a degree level standard. Really excited by the opportunity to do this,

Yes I bet. Its brilliant that these opportunities are out there now.

17 creffoldcanons (Careers Co-Ordinator) 6 years ago
creffoldcanons

Thank you so much for all your help with this. I will contact the rep to ask for the contact email and your name. I would really appreciate anything you can do regarding getting us onto the catchment for work experience and with the Careers Fair.

18 creffoldcanons (Careers Co-Ordinator) 6 years ago
creffoldcanons

Thank you so much for your time. Have a lovely day.

19 BAworkexperience123 (Work Experience Programme Lead) 6 years ago
BAworkexperience123

It was lovely chatting to you Christina, if you have any further questions feel free to email our work experience account once you receive the details! Speak soon, Mel

Sorry this topic is locked

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.