Railway Career Opportunities

Watch Topic

To whom it may concern

My name is Paul Harding, I am 18 years old. I live in Lancashire and attend a school/ college on the Wirral. I already have a B in English Language, English Literature and Maths. I am currently studying further GCSE's in Science, History, Computer Science, Media Studies and Drama. I am on the autistic spectrum, even though I have some challenges, I believe this type of industry would be suitable for myself as I am passionate about the rail network and have developed a varied knowledge of the current and future development of the network. 

I am currently interested in looking down the career paths of signal controller and route engineer.

My questions are:-

What qualifications would be necessary for these jobs?

What opportunities are there for entering the railway industry? For example work experience or events. in the area of Merseyside and West Lancashire.

What types of jobs and career prospects is their if I went down the signal controller or route engineer?

Is their any careers that focus on timetabling, planning and operations and railway performance. 

Kind Regards

Paul Harding

1 mitesh 7 years ago
mitesh

Some great questions here :)

2 NREarlyCareers (Talent Acquisition Advisor) 7 years ago
NREarlyCareers

Hi Paul,

We have advanced engineering apprenticeship opportunities here at Network Rail with a number of different career paths. You can find out more information about the scheme and the eligibility criteria on our website, search 'Network Rail apprentice'. The first 21 weeks are spent living and learning at our training centre in Coventry and the rest of the time will be spent working at a depot close to your home. We are open for applications for our March 2018 intake but unfortunately we don't have any opportunities still available at a depot close to you. We will be opening again in the new year for the September 2018 intake

There are also entry level opportunities in the planning department but I believe they are based in Milton Keynes but please do visit our careers website.

Thank you,

Network Rail

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.