Career Advisors

Watch Topic

Hello

I am interested to know how many students ask about careers in Rail? Never/sometimes/all the time.

Do you feel you know enough about the industry to answer their questions?

1 F_Rye (Careers Co-ordinator) 7 years ago
F_Rye

We get a few.

I think we could always know more about the sector and usually reference sites like this one to get info.

2 SiemensForum (Education Intern) 7 years ago
SiemensForum

Hi,

We get quite a few students who are interested in rail at Siemens, especially around work experience. Whilst I don't know a lot surrounding rail, we have plenty of staff in our company who have years of experience in the rail industry who can support any enquiries.

Kind Regards,
Charlotte Atkins
Siemens HR/Schools Education Intern

3 ChilternRailways1 (HR - Learning & Development Advisor) 7 years ago
ChilternRailways1

Hi,

Since the school term started this year we have already received 7 work experience requests from students interested in work experience next year. Chiltern Railways believing in supporting young people to gain experience of various areas of the business, these range from; customer services, driver management, on trains, engineering, marketing, finance and many more.

Regards
Nisha Jivan

HR - Learning and Development Advisor

4 MGlover (Head of Innovation) 7 years ago
MGlover

Hi all!

I think that for many of us in rail we're shocked when we do have interns, apprentices or even grads joining us, and we find out how little they know about what we do! Well that's hardly surprising and it's probably our fault.

The rail industry today is a rapidly moving, high technology field with so many wonderful systems and technologies in use - all working together to provide a network that has coped with amazing increases in the numbers of people travelling. There are so many different systems on the railway - signalling and train control (that's what I do for a living), the civil engineering (bridges, tunnels, the track itself), the electrification systems, not to mention trains that can travel at 125 miles an hour with hundreds of people on them!!

New electronics, computer systems, lightweight materials, the drive to reducing carbon emissions, customers who expect their journey to be as reliable as their smartphones - it's all changing now, and the industry is an increasingly fun and dynamic place to work.

This is such an exciting time to be in this industry - and we need bright young people with new ideas and approaches to help us accelerate even more.

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.