Rail Sector and Hillcrest Girls School

Watch Topic

Online session between the Rail Sector and Hillcrest Girls School.

Discussion Topic: Women in Rail

Date: 8th Nov 2018 at 14.30

<< < 5 6 7 8 9 > >>
121 jrichar3 (GIS Spatial Data Coordinator) 5 years ago
jrichar3

(Original post by 15dma  5 years ago)
what is ur fave thing about ur job? n do you have friends with you either studying or working?(is it a good thing to)

I enjoy solving problems, and seeing all the datasets combining to create a detailed map of the route.
We have regular socials and I often see my friends from my University courses

122 ASSANX 5 years ago
ASSANX

(Original post by cristinagalvan  5 years ago)
Hi, I’m Cristina and I am a Senior Engineer at Network Rail. I will be participating in your session and answering your questions this afternoon

what do u do in the job

123 cwarring77 (Project Manager) 5 years ago
cwarring77

(Original post by Athletefaith  5 years ago)
is there a business aspect if there is what types of things can do ?

Railway companies work just like other companies so we have a board of directors, accountants, lawyers, human resources, admin, IT, marketing etc. You could do almost all business type jobs in the rail industry.

124 15phs 5 years ago
15phs

what types of things do you do at work and is it hectic

125 Alima 5 years ago
Alima

why did you choose this over every other job out there?

126 15pmr 5 years ago
15pmr

is your job hard

127 15dma 5 years ago
15dma

what is ur fave thing about ur job? n do you have friends with you either studying or working?(is it a good thing to)
(Original post by jrichar3  5 years ago)
I enjoy solving problems, and seeing all the datasets combining to create a detailed map of the route. We have regular socials and I often see my friends from my University courses

so as well as ur job, you also do uni? is this an apprenticeship? does it not get tiring?

128 15pmr 5 years ago
15pmr

(Original post by cwarring77  5 years ago)
Railway companies work just like other companies so we have a board of directors, accountants, lawyers, human resources, admin, IT, marketing etc. You could do almost all business type jobs in the rail industry.

do you like your job?

129 cwarring77 (Project Manager) 5 years ago
cwarring77

where is your company based?
The HS2 head office is in Birmingham City Centre and we also have offices in London
(Original post by 15phs  5 years ago)
does your job ever get boring or repetitive?
I don't generally have time to get bored! My job is very varied and I am constantly learning so I find it interesting.
(Original post by 15phs  5 years ago)
what types of things do you do at work and is it hectic

At the moment we are currently still in the procurement stage so I am writing documents and calculating budgets. In my previous job we were in the construction phase and that was very hectic as we had fixed deadlines to meet.

130 cwarring77 (Project Manager) 5 years ago
cwarring77

can you do work experience in yr 10 there at your company?

HS2 do offer work experience, you could ask your teacher to get in touch with us

131 15rcm 5 years ago
15rcm

do you get along with the people that you work with ?

132 cwarring77 (Project Manager) 5 years ago
cwarring77

(Original post by 15pmr  5 years ago)
do you like your job?

Yes I do like my job. I find it very interesting and it's great to be part of such a massive project as HS2.

133 Athletefaith 5 years ago
Athletefaith

what is the biggest project you have worked with?

134 cristinagalvan (Senior Engineer (Control Command Signalling)) 5 years ago
cristinagalvan

(Original post by cristinagalvan  5 years ago)
Hi, I’m Cristina and I am a Senior Engineer at Network Rail. I will be participating in your session and answering your questions this afternoon
(Original post by ASSANX  5 years ago)
what do u do in the job

I am currently defining the requirements ([link removed] what is needed) for the next generation of signalling and train control technology systems

135 15pmr 5 years ago
15pmr

did you work hard for your job?

136 jrichar3 (GIS Spatial Data Coordinator) 5 years ago
jrichar3

(Original post by jrichar3  5 years ago)
I enjoy solving problems, and seeing all the datasets combining to create a detailed map of the route. We have regular socials and I often see my friends from my University courses
so as well as ur job, you also do uni? is this an apprenticeship? does it not get tiring?

I am not officially studying at the moment, but we do meet up for Professional Development events (both formal and informal)

137 cwarring77 (Project Manager) 5 years ago
cwarring77

(Original post by Alima  5 years ago)
why did you choose this over every other job out there?

That's a difficult question! I always enjoyed maths and solving problems which led me to study engineering at university. I like being involved in all aspects of a project which led me to project management. My job makes good use of my skills and my interests. I would suggest using work experience to get a feel for different jobs.

138 RDGIone (REGS coordinator) 5 years ago
RDGIone

(Original post by 15rcm  5 years ago)

Yes, it's important to get along with your colleagues. At a work place you don't usually chose who you work with and there are always colleagues from different backgrounds, ideologies, religion, etc so an important part of being ready for the world of work is being able to get along with all kinds of people

139 15rcm 5 years ago
15rcm

how hard did you work to get where you are at now ?

140 cwarring77 (Project Manager) 5 years ago
cwarring77

(Original post by 15rcm  5 years ago)

Generally yes although there are always people that you get on with better than others, just like at school

<< < 5 6 7 8 9 > >>

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.