Work Experience Placement Advice

Watch Topic

Can you advise me on what Work Experience placements would be beneficial to gain employment within your sector? Particularly for those sectors such as social care that may require you to be a certain age or have a DBS to gain meaningful work experience.  What suggestions do you have for alternative work experience that could be shown to have transferable skills to support an application to your sector.

1 LizzyJones_MooreStephensLLP (Senior resourcing advisor - Early careers) 7 years ago
LizzyJones_MooreStephensLLP

Work experience is great but I appreciate it can be hard to come by especially if you don't know anyone in the sector or role you are interested in getting into. Whilst work experience has it's place and can definitely be very beneficial I would always place more emphasis on individuals obtaining a part time job. Having a Saturday or evening job which you've been with for a good length of time shows commitment, a good work ethic and demonstrates that you are organised enough to balance other commitments around your studies. For a client facing role like ours any kind of customer facing work experience (retail, waitressing etc) is great as it shows you have experience of working with people which is the primary ethos of our business.

2 laurensalter (Long Term Talent Senior Consultant & Apprenticeships Manager) 7 years ago
laurensalter

I would agree. We don't require work experience as part of our application process for apprenticeships or graduate schemes. Part-time work in a shop or even babysitting is enough to demonstrate that you have responsibility and the drive to do more than the standard school work that is required of you!

However we do run a work experience programme through the charity Speakers4Schools, which schools that have a high number of disadvantages students/free school meals can sign up to.

3 SiemensForum (Education Intern) 7 years ago
SiemensForum

Siemens offers competitive summer work experience placements designed to challenge students and provide them with an exclusive insight into the workings of a global organization. If we have seen that students have taken the time to get involved and gain experience, it's a very attractive trait to us as a business. It may open more doors in a student's career if they have had work experience within that field, but to us even if you have held down a job or volunteered, that shows motivation!

Everything surrounding our work experience can be found on the Siemens Education website: [link removed]

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.