Gap Years

Watch Topic

Are you thinking about taking a Gap Year? This thread is for you if you're unsure about whether to travel or stay at home, how to make the best use of your time - or just don't know where to start.

Post all your Gap Year questions here.

1 nbossa 6 years ago
nbossa

Hi, I am in year 13 and have applied for biomedical sciences. I have received all my offers but I still have an urge to apply for medicine. Should I take a gap year and apply next year if I get AAA or higher?

2 Jamiegoodland1 (Editorial) 6 years ago
Jamiegoodland1

(Original post by nbossa  6 years ago)
Hi, I am in year 13 and have applied for biomedical sciences. I have received all my offers but I still have an urge to apply for medicine. Should I take a gap year and apply next year if I get AAA or higher?

Hi @Nbossa. There is no straightforward answer to this question and you should discuss with your careers advisor, teachers, head of 6th (if possible), friends and/or parents – those who know you and can give you personalised advice. It is important to apply for the right university subject - if you have doubts about biomedical science and are strongly drawn to medicine then a gap year could be a good idea. If you have good grades you will be in a strong position to apply for other courses as well as medicine, and a gap year could at least give you time to consider what you really want – sometimes, time out helps you see more clearly. I took a gap year because I was unsure about my university offers and it turned out to be the right decision for me. On the other hand, you should consider whether you are prepared to go through the application process again, particularly if it involves interviews. You still have plenty of time to think about your options – and you don’t have to decide till August when you get your A-level results.

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.