How important is it to have Maths and English GCSE

Watch Topic

Hi,

I want to promote the importance of gaining Maths and English GCSE grades to our students. I want to be able to give evidence from employers that their GCSE's will count towards getting a job. Could employers please give me a few quotes to encourage students getting both of the qualifications are worthwhile, how/why are they valuable for employers. To help our students think about their future options, it would be great If any of the employers are interested in visiting our College to give a careers talk to students. It would be great to forge stronger links so please email me on [email removed]

1 Atkinsapprentices (Early Careers Advisor) 7 years ago
Atkinsapprentices

Hello, as an engineering and construction sector we always look for a strong grades within the STEM subjects, for the majority of apprentice routes for instance we only accept those who have a minimum of a grade B in maths and C in English. The STEM subjects for us are a great foundation for students to have, especially when engineering is all about problem solving and analysis.

However at the same time as we are a consultancy firm English is just as importation for speaking with clients, writing bids, or simply day to day communications via email. Thus as a whole we would always encourage students to try their best within STEM to help broaden their career opportunities.

2 bluedavies (Training Manager) 7 years ago
bluedavies

Most marine employers would expect this but enthusiasm for the job and good communications skills are valued within the industry.
For a lot of marine employers the job is also there passion, they will have boats and be part of the social community.

3 jamiesherman (Associate) 7 years ago
jamiesherman

Hello

In the legal industry, a strong academic record is key to the success of a job candidate. We look for excellent university and school grades, including maths and English GCSE grades.

For a candidate to make it to the interview stage, and to get the chance to speak to someone at the firm about the job and why they should get it, it is essential that a candidate has good grades. We will of course always consider mitigating circumstances where excellent candidates have been unable to perform to their best due to circumstances which are outside of their control.

English skills are essential for good communication - a lawyer needs to be able to communicate succinctly and clearly to clients and this is why we look for excellent grades in English. Maths is a key skill area for many professional services, though this is less significant in law.

Thanks

Jamie

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.