Changing parents perception of apprenticeships

Watch Topic

Employers, have you any tips on how we can promote apprenticeships to parents? There still seems to be people that think apprenticeships are a second rate option and somehow schools need to do more to dispel this myth. Any ideas? 

1 LizzyJones_MooreStephensLLP (Senior resourcing advisor - Early careers) 7 years ago
LizzyJones_MooreStephensLLP

Good question, I asked a similar one from the other side! [link removed]

I'm hoping this will change as apprenticeships become more common place but there are lots of benefits of choosing one of our apprenticeship schemes over going to [link removed] a university student our apprentices earn two years more salary, have two years to build up their work place skills and professional network, still have the opportunity to gain their independence, avoid the student debt and in terms of career prospects they still have the opportunity to progress onto the graduate level programmes and, because our apprenticeship is at least one year less than the minimum three year course at university, they can actually get there quicker! For us the main message is you don't need a degree to have a successful career in accountancy and if the student knows that's where they want to get to starting on an apprenticeship can be the best option.

2 EYApprenticeships (Employer Brand and Attraction Schools Advisor) 7 years ago
EYApprenticeships

Hi, we've developed a number of materials online for Parents to help them understand the benefits of apprenticeships, some useful case studies and some FAQ's to help support this audience. [link removed]

3 mitesh 7 years ago
mitesh

Can employers also give us a couple of bullets on the benefits of young person becoming an apprentice so we can share this with parents. Thanks

4 JennyPwC (Student Recruitment Officer) 7 years ago

Hello! I think the most important thing is to emphasise that there are absolutely no barriers to career progression if you join on an apprenticeship. In fact often you can progress quicker! On our programme, you could be a fully qualified chartered accountant n 4-5 years after finishing school, as opposed to going to uni & studying for 3-4 years, followed by another 3 years study for a professional qualification. We have lots of senior people who joined this way & reached director/partner level. Apprenticeships often involve joining with peers so they wouldn't miss out on the social side of uni either! Some benefits include:
An alternative route to high-skilled roles
A nationally recognised qualification equivalent to the first stages of Higher Education
Work experience where you get paid whilst studying
A strong foundation to build on, through HE and studying towards professionally qualified status
Transferable skills, which help you progress to high-skilled careers in the professions

5 feest (Head of Strategic Partnerships) 7 years ago
feest

Have a look at some of the videos produced from our partnership with GoThinkBig where apprentices talk about what they do, and advantages - really useful for parents to bring it to life [link removed]

6 Fujitsu001 (Junior Talent Recruitment Advisor) 7 years ago
Fujitsu001

Hi, Having chosen to do an apprenticeship over university myself, I can completely relate to the big decision on whether to go to university or not. So when I think back to what I would have liked to have when I was at school, it would be the chance to actually hear from someone who made the choice, so getting in touch with companies and inviting some ex students in would also be a good idea. We also have some videos on our YouTube channel on why choose apprenticeships over university and why one of our apprentices actually left university to join an apprenticeship with us. With things such as Degree Apprenticeships now, it allows students to get the best of both worlds.

7 clairenoble (New Talent Manager) 7 years ago
clairenoble

Hi, we are putting together some role profiles / day in the life of our apprentices, so they will be a great way to show what our apprentices do and that its a great option. With apprenticeships now not being age limited, I'm hoping, across the country, this should become easier to encourage people to do apprenticeships. The technical knowledge you learn on our apprenticeship can stand you in great stead to progress and often because you truly understand the role and the engineering background in order to work in other areas.

8 agresty (Sixth Form Manager) 7 years ago
agresty

These are all very helpful comments. We will run a 'Meet the Apprentices' evening for parents next academic year in school to try and educate them in the benefits of apprenticeships. Parents have a great influence over our students and what they end up doing next so the battle is on!

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.