London, United Kingdom
Job Purpose Statement
The Columbia Threadneedle Trainee Programme will offer a paid year-long placement for school leavers, graduates and those seeking their first role in Asset Management or a function that supports an Asset Management business. In 2019 our Trainees will gain industry experience whilst enjoying the development opportunities offered to all Columbia Threadneedle employees through our Training & Development Framework. The Programme is designed to equip Trainees with the necessary skills to secure permanent work at the end of the year. They will be considered for a permanent position within Columbia Threadneedle, and even if they are not offered a position here, the experience and business knowledge gained will leave them strongly placed to find work elsewhere.
Trainees will be a flexible resource supporting day-to-day business activities within two of our assigned departments which you will rotate throughout the year depending on business need. Responsibilities to include:
- Gaining knowledge of systems and processes through application on the job
- Developing technical skills and knowledge in relation to current placement
- Carrying out tasks and responsibilities with accuracy and efficiency, demonstrating high levels of productivity and attention to detail.
- Frequent attendance at business meetings, not limited to the meetings required as part of the placement.
- Participating in business debate, not only following but understanding direction and carrying out tasks in a business context.
- Participation in wider industry experiences, such as external briefings on industry matters (regulation, risk, and financial instruments) business line specific events with peers, clients and subject matter experts.
- Establishing a diverse and broad network across the business relevant to the current placement but also more broadly through contacts made at company-wide events, utilising opportunities to collaborate.
- Participation in community/charitable events to broaden network and add value as a representative of Columbia Threadneedle Investments.
- Developing confidence and skill in building relationships; being approachable, flexible and displaying high levels of interest and engagement.
- Being an Ambassador for Columbia Threadneedle at Investment20/20 events and presentation opportunities, around the city
* Solid Microsoft Excel and Outlook skills
* Highly numerate with keen eye for detail
* Can work under pressure to tight deadlines
* Task focused; flexible and adaptable
* Good communication skills
We seek to recruit talented individuals with a genuine passion to join the Asset Management industry. Whilst technical ability and academic success is important, we also look at an applicant's broader capabilities which might include language skills, evidence of working as part of a team, or involvement in extra-curricular activities. Applicants will also need to be able to collaborate and communicate effectively with colleagues and other stakeholders, and demonstrate affinity with Columbia Threadneedle’s Values.
About Columbia Threadneedle Investments
Columbia Threadneedle Investments is a leading global asset manager that provides a broad range of actively managed investment strategies and solutions for individual, institutional and corporate clients around the world. With more than 2000 people including over 450 investment professionals based in North America, Europe and Asia, we manage over £400 billion of assets across developed and emerging market equities, fixed income, asset allocation solutions and alternatives. Our priority is the investment success of our clients. We know investors want strong and repeatable risk-adjusted returns and we aim to deliver this through an active and consistent investment approach that is team-based, risk-aware and performance-driven.
Applications closing date: 31st March 2019
Role start date: September 2019