This apprenticeship is for tech geniuses who have an investigative streak. Cyber security is all about fighting online crime and making sense of complex data. If that sounds like you, check out this opportunity from BT.
What is the BT cyber security apprenticeship?
This apprenticeship at BT teaches you the technical skills needed for a successful career in cyber security.
You’ll be part of BT's cool-sounding Security Team, learning how to decrypt data and break down malware (that’s software that’s made to damage or attack a computer system). You’ll learn the ins and outs of digital security and will be able to measure risk – all the while helping to make BT’s systems safer!
The higher level apprenticeship can be done in Cambridge, Cardiff, Cheltenham, Edinburgh, Exeter, Ipswich, London, Sevenoaks, and Skelmersdale.
BT are looking for young people who...
- Have 2 A-levels at C or above, plus at least 4 GCSEs at grade C or above including English and maths.
- A good handle on digital and IT capabilities.
“I’ve learned a lot of new stuff in the space of four months. The team have really helped me, they’ve provided a lot of training. We get the chance to see lots of different areas of cyber security and get a grounding across the whole field which is going to be ideal for the future. BT seem to be at the forefront of everything that’s happening so I should be able to develop a very exciting career.”
—Fraser, BT cyber security apprentice
How does the training work?
You will have a real-life job during the apprenticeship, earning a salary and learning valuable technical and general skills. The job will usually be in BT’s “Security Operations Centre”, or with their “security architects”.
You'll have to go to college at the same time. This will most likely be for two weeks out of every six. You’ll get to take part in group projects so you’ll boost your teamwork and communication skills. There are also lots of opportunities where you can gain even more technical know-how. Plus there’ll be plenty of time for fun during BT’s social activities.
How do I apply?
BT are offering 12 different kinds of apprenticeships in 2017. We’re guessing you picked this one because it sounds perfect for you – but check out the others before making your decision, because you can only apply for one.
- When you’re ready to apply, fill out the online application form on the BT website. Check out our advice on filling out application forms for help with this.
- If meet the requirements and put together a strong application, the be asked to complete an online test – and find out straight away whether you’ve got through to the next stage, which is…
- A video interview: You’ll meet some friendly interviewers, who will ask you why you’ve applied for a customer service apprenticeship, and why you’d make an awesome hire!
- If you impress, you’ll be invited to an assessment centre at a location near you, which you’ll attend alongside other candidates.
Ready to apply?
Visit the BT website by clicking the button below to visit the BT cyber security apprenticeship pages. Click on the area you’re interested in to get your application underway!