Founded in 1888, Dixon Wilson is one of the UK’s leading accountancy firms based in the City of London. We specialise in providing accountancy, audit, tax advice and strategic planning to private clients, companies, entrepreneurs and their businesses.
What We Offer: The Tax School Leavers Programme
We offer the opportunity to kick start a career in personal taxation without the need for a university degree! As part of our School Leavers Apprenticeship Programme, you will combine work with studying towards professional qualifications. You will start with study towards the ATT (Association of Taxation Technicians), followed by further studies towards CTA (Chartered Tax Adviser) the highest-level tax qualification in the UK. The ATT and CTA qualifications form a four-year Level 4 & 7 apprenticeship programme with Dixon Wilson.
We pay all the costs for your professional exams including tuition courses, study manuals, textbooks, and examination fees for the first sitting. During the School Leavers Programme you will receive paid study leave to attend the tuition courses and exams.
In addition to a competitive starting salary and benefits, you will receive salary increments throughout your training contract upon successful completion of examinations.
Our Private Client Tax Team and Your Role in it:
Our private client tax team believe that everyone has a responsibility to conduct their affairs ethically. As a result, we assist personal tax clients to make sure they pay the appropriate amount of tax. We provide legitimate, robust tax advice that holds up to scrutiny from tax authorities. We pride ourselves on our ability to ensure that our clients remain compliant with current legislation.
The size of our firm and the nature of our practice provides an excellent experience for our private client Tax Trainees. Working in one of the Firm’s four multi-disciplinary workgroups as a private client Tax Trainee you will gain practical experience assisting mostly with personal tax compliance services, to begin with. As you develop, you will have the opportunity to get involved with varied and interesting ad-hoc advisory projects for individuals and their wider financial interests. All of this will relate to a diverse portfolio of UK and international individual and trust clients. You will be working alongside our Tax Seniors and Tax Managers who will assist in training you to become a key part of Dixon Wilson’s highly-regarded and technically adept private client tax team.
Your day to day responsibilities will develop your technical, professional and personal skills from day one. This will include (amongst other things) ensuring personal tax client files are kept up to date, reviewing client documents to assist the Tax Managers in determining the correct tax treatment of individuals income/gains, preparing estimates of transactional tax liabilities, drafting clients’ Self-Assessment tax returns, preparing engagement letters and client acceptance documentation, and liaising with HMRC about any matters related to your portfolio of private clients.
What Makes Dixon Wilson Different from other Firms?
- We provide high quality training and support to steer your career towards success.
- We place a strong emphasis on ensuring our staff remain happy, challenged, and motivated.
- The technical expertise of our partners and staff is outstanding. This is supported by the number of industry and professional prizes awarded to the firm and the staff.
- Our dedication to training, with a total of 28 trainees joining every year (ACA & ATT/CTA), means the office is a vibrant and lively place to work. You will be surrounded by energetic and inquisitive trainees.
- We all work extremely hard to contribute to the Firm's success, but it's not 'all work and no play' in our offices. Our dedicated Social Committee plans a diverse range of activities throughout the year.
- You will need to be on target for, or have achieved at least a 112 UCAS tariff (excluding General Studies), from up to three full A-Levels (or equivalent), and a Grade C or 4 or above in GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics.
We also look for:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Willingness to learn
- Commitment to achieving success in examinations and delivering a first-class professional service to our private clients
- Be available to start in mid-end August 2023 - date TBC
- Evidence of eligibility to work in the UK for the duration of the 4-year training contract