STEM projects

Watch Topic

Would employers be prepared to offer 'dead' projects, plus a couple of young ambassadors, to help schools link the STEM subjects, especially going across Maths, Science and Technology?  This could take the place of some work experience and visits of a day or so instead of 10 to the company to get a feel of working for the whole day?

1 JennyPwC (Student Recruitment Officer) 7 years ago

Hi RosLucas, This is a really interesting idea! Is this something your school have done before? Technology is a key area of focus for us and we are looking into a number of initiatives for students to get them into Tech so watch this space! Most recently we launched a Tech Focused work experience programme in some of our offices.

2 RosLucas (Education/Careers Consultant) 7 years ago
RosLucas

I have managed to persuade some companies to use 'dead' projects or briefs for students to make their work experience more worthwhile and I have also been able to take a group of 10 16 year olds into a Board Room for the experience and they tried out some rebranding activities.

I think this could work in a variety of sectors with the support of teachers used to devising and writing unite and assignments of work.

The GCSE IT tends to concentrate on database projects but I cannot see why it cannot work across the areas and so bring together learning for employment whilst developing communication skills across age and gender groups. It is now relevant BTEC Level 2 and 3 and A Level Computing that might lend itself more easily to tech projects, but that is leaving out whole groups of otherwise bright candidares who did not choose IT or Computing that employers should consider.

3 grantthornton (Senior Resourcing Adviser) 7 years ago
grantthornton

I think this is a great idea we have recently launched our School Enterprise Programme which meets and enhances the Key Stage 3 curriculum across the UK. It gives students the opportunity to run their own microbusiness as a team, whilst developing financial and entrepreneurial skills through real-life experience. Global Citizenship learning is also brought alive as they are able to choose whether to invest the profits generated into entrepreneurs' businesses in the developing world. Bringing the link of their studies to the real world.

4 RosLucas (Education/Careers Consultant) 7 years ago
RosLucas

Was pleased to hear Lauren's input and answers at the TfL presentation today and having designed, set up and run 2-day Entrepreneur events for 200 Year 9s I know how productive and motivational these can be. Students also realise the value of being good with number in business.

Your idea of profits bring ploughed into third world businesses will help to bring in some of the moral and ethical aspects of 'big business', which is sometimes lacking.

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.