Future Jobs

Watch Topic

Dear Employers

I am looking at how to advise my students on the careers of the future, jobs that haven't yet been invented! I would like to know what your organisation is doing to plan ahead, what do you perceive to be the roles that may disappear/appear and how you might be changing your staff training to equip your employees with the skills they need to adapt? And how should I advise my students accordingly?

Many thanks

Head of Careers

Caterham School

1 mitesh 7 years ago
mitesh

Hi there - my experience of this is to ensure young people develop transferable skills and the right attitude, that way they can survive in any job market. App development was non-existent 15 years ago, but is now a fully fledged industry.

According to the ONS, unemployment rate is currently 4.6%, the lowest rate since June 1975. This suggests despite the number of jobs that are now automated/redundant, more jobs have been created to counter this.

2 grantthornton (Senior Resourcing Adviser) 7 years ago
grantthornton

Hello, there was a similar question posted on this recently, it is something of debate internally and with our clients. Our website (which due to restrictions I can not post the link to through this forum, unfortunately), offers UK clients we work with insights into the intelligence they might need to future plan. We recently posted a article on this which explains job roles will look different to today. What we are doing is continuing to keep learning and adapting. You may want to focus on the skills / things that computers can’t do well; innovation, creativity, empathy and relationships – for example.

Sign up to receive careers advice and info about apprenticeships & school leaver jobs.